Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2014 21:24:21 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (48 lines)
The formula powder in the tin (once that's opened) can (and will) be contaminated with bacteria, the water from the tap can be contaminated with bacteria, there can and will be bacteria in the bottles or the container the prepared formula is being stored in. That is the main difference to pasteurised cows milk which remains pasteurised (sterile) until opened. Formula prepared from powder and water is not.

Here in Germany, it is recommended to prepare and feed the formula and discard formula that has not been consumed after an hour. There is a strong recommendation against feeding previously prepared formula. I do know of parents who prepare the nightly portion in the evening and keep it at feeding temp in a bottle warmer and I have seen this type of parents frequently in the hospital for diarrhea and stomach bugs.

I don't know about the sterile one-feed-bottles available, that is pasteurised liquid formula ready to feed after warming and should be different from self-prepared bottles made with powdered formula. They have a best-before-date (unless opened) and I would trust them a little longer in the fridge after they've been opened because there is less possibility for bacterial contamination there.

Mother's milk is considered safe from the fridge for three days, due to its antibiotic etc properties. I assume cow's milk has those same properties and is therefore safer for longer than formula with no antibiotic properties.

Just my thoughts.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Danica Gehringer

> Am 19.08.2014 um 20:52 schrieb the juliest person you know <[log in to unmask]>:
> 
> Regarding calling CPS, a friend of mine is a social worker in a hospital, and she usually tells the family--with explanation and without threatening--when she is going to call CPS, unless she thinks there will be a harmful result in doing so.  That being said, there is no excuse for SOMEONE ELSE telling the family that you called CPS.  It's probably illegal.  You could probably sue.
> 
> My question about formula is how long does it actually take for formula to spoil?  The standard answer seems to be that you shouldn't give a baby formula that has been opened for one hour even in the fridge, but I can't think of anything else that will spoil in one hour in the refrigerator.  If a baby was drinking from the bottle and it were left out, then yes, I could see that.  Many families will mix up a day's worth of powder every morning and refrigerate until needed.  Is that actually unsafe?  Pasteurized cow milk is good for about a week in the fridge, why not formula?
> 
> 
> Julie Tardos
>  
> ====
>  I went to rehab in wine country just to keep my options open.  -- Robin Williams
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2