Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2014 08:11:23 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Our hospital has hired an outside auditor to randomly pick charts and review the electronic data.  We also interview every patient at discharge to determine if formula was given.  I (the manager) keep a spreadsheet with data on the acuity level of the patients (not reason formula was given), what mother's original choice at admission was, if a baby was sent to NICU (which excludes them from the denominator), etc.  I keep records of how many times they were visited by a lactation consultant during the hospital stay, percentage of births that were c-sections, admissions and discharges from NICU and whether still breastfeeding, class attendance, and a few other things.  I spend about 16 hours a month on data collection and compilation.  

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Debi Neverman, RNC,IBCLC

Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2014 5:46 PM

Subject: JACHO & data collection

Would someone please enlighten me on HOW they collect the data for JACHO regarding exclusive breast milk feedings?

We currently use two different electronic charting systems and no L&D data does not transfer over to PP/Nsy charting. 

Have you developed inhouse query's to get the numbers? Hand data collection seems overwhelming to do in this technology age. back to paper and pencil? Yet it's stressed that #'s must be evident in documentation.

Unfortunately we have a large number of breastfeeders who are supplemented by our Neo's for various reasons. The admission data would not reflect the true picture and discharge information would need to be individually researched.

I'm overwhelmed just thinking about it.....been chasing this situation for over a year (on & off) Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! Debi

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2