Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2014 17:26:14 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Cleaning out files I found notes from 20 years ago......I had  resigned my PT LC position to go back to school for my PNP. I had been there 5 years and they didn't think they needed an LC, LC had no power. Status of BF when I first started in 1986 was water bottles in all cribs and 4 hr schedule. 1st BF was 6 hrs for vag del and 10+ for C-sec. 5 years later the water bottles were gone, "rooming in" was extended from 9 am to 6:30 pm. Biggest problem was inconsistency of advice, division about whose responsibility to teach mom about BF (L & D, nursery, PP or LC :-) I would leave articles laying around, hang things on bulletin board, talk about conferences I went to, con people into going to conferences. We had a conference at our hospital for about 25 nurses (1/2 ours, 1/2 from other hospitals). I did a conf at a nearby hospital for 60 nurses. Used quiz and eval which I left laying around at my hospital. They were aware that I was doing in-services for other hospitals. Then I said I was leaving! Major panic. CNS formed a BF committee. Evaluated practices, wrote protocols, worked as a committee and wrote a booklet, did in-service and began to use a lactation form.

They have continued to have an LC on staff ever since, now have 2. As one of the local LLLLs I rarely ever get calls from their moms with train wrecks. Not BFriendly yet, but I have hope :-)
I guess I wonder why it takes so long to change practices in hospitals.  What have others experienced over the past 20/25  years??  Pat in SNJ

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2