Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2013 08:19:18 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (57 lines)
Hello all,
Thank you Sara for speaking so highly of our labor of love, the weekly Breastfeeding & Pumping webinars (including "Nighttime Nursing the First Year") and our weekly Sleep Webinars (including, as you mentioned, "Gently Reducing Night Feedings" and "Trading Down Sleep Associations" among several dozen others). And, thank you to Anne Altshuler for her post yesterday speaking of our recent Family Centered Cesarean webinar and mentioning the upcoming "The Science of Skin to Skin and Kangaroo Care".

Webinars, like conference announcements, are not allowed here on lactnet so I am not able to post the descriptions and registration links. Instead, you may find all details of these and other free offerings on our online learning page: http://www.isisparenting.com/event/page/pageCode/onlineclasses

Thank you - we work hard to offer these free resources and it's been amazing to see the national and international attendance.
Now I'm off to "March for Babies" with Team Isis to support the March of Dimes.
Have a magnificent, Baby-Friendly weekend! :)
Nancy
Nancy Holtzman, RN IBCLC CPN
VP Clinical Content & eLearning

Isis. Parenting Starts Here.
@nancyholtzman
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
www.isisparenting.com

Date:    Sat, 11 May 2013 07:28:02 -0400

From:    Sara Pearce <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Subject: Re: Co sleeping baby and milk sharing

Hi Mandy, I do a lot of sleep education here in Minneapolis at Amma Parenting Center.  For phasing down overnight feeding (which is only a problem if Mama thinks it is - sounds like she wants to wean down):  offer more calories (bottles & solids) during the day, then choose one night feed and gradually reduce the number of minutes at the breast over a week or so, until baby is only nursing for 2 minutes or less.  Then that feed can be eliminated.  Eliminate one feed at a time, and go slow.

Make sure baby is offered other soothing strategies in the meantime: white noise, a lovey (mini-blanket), patting/rocking, etc while she learns the new skill of sleeping without eating.  Many babies at that age are still eating 1-2 times overnight but I can understand more than that would make a working Mama very tired!  There is a large body of research on the adverse effects on mothers, children and families of long term sleep deprivation.

Isis Parenting in Boston has a really wonderful series of sleep webinars - they do a free one online every Tuesday.  Their sleep experts are very pro-breastfeeding (Nancy - are you on here?).  I send a lot of my Mamas to their website for sleep advice.  There's a whole webinar on reducing overnight feeding.  Listen to their one on "trading down" sleep associations, too.  Www.isisparenting.com<http://Www.isisparenting.com>

Sara Pearce RN CNM IBCLC

Minneapolis MN

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2