Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:17:43 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
Babies metabolic systems to metabolize drugs develop to approximately adult capabilities one month after birth.
For premature babies, that time is one month plus the time the baby is born premature.
So especially those drugs that are contraindicated during that time period need to be monitored.
Extra considerations need to be taken for L1 and L2 medications in both full term and preterm babies.
The preterm baby is not to be considered like a fetus.  The fetus (aka, still baby, to me) is in an entirely different environment than that of a born baby.
Most drugs, "safe" or not, are heat labile and should be destroyed or at least partially destroyed by heating.
Re: www.safefetus.com
I have not used this resource, probably because I have so many other excellent resources that I use.
I use Tom Hale's resources; Briggs, Freeman, and Yafee; my own book, and many others.
Go to my website at www.nicebreastfeeding.com for a list of websites and links that I also use.
I also have an handout on book resources that I use.
In any case, I never use one resource because it is difficult to tease out bias in resources, especially with breastfeeding.
I tested the safefetus website, and it looks pretty much right on if you do not just go by the initial more generalized statements.
It appears you must know the exact spelling of the medication to locate the drug.
Then again, knowing the correct spelling for "amoxicillin" did not help me locate it.
The database spells it "amoxycillin".  I am not sure if this is an English spelling or what.
I found out this problem by entering an Brand name for amoxicillin I knew.
I hope all this helps.

Frank J. Nice, RPh, DPA, CPHP

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2