Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 21:35:41 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Jane, your question is precisely why I posted this issue. I really do want to know what the research says. For instance on Ameda's website they say that any clean container can be used to store breast milk in the refrigerator. If we are going to suggest to moms that they sterilize their pump equipment then doesn't it follow that they need to be equally careful with what they store the milk in. So there are two very different levels of aseptic technique being suggested by the major manufacturers for milk storage.

Also, if we are going to suggest once a day then why not after every use? What research shows once a day better than once every other day or once a week. If you have contaminated sink handles from gardening, then you dirty up your milk the five or six other times a day when you use your pump and don't sterilize, if you are exclusively pumping. I would just like to see some rationale that is more research based than moms are being sloppy, which is what the company told me on the phone.

Kathy Lilleskov RN IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2