Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2012 10:24:36 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Dear Marit:

I usually spend a lot of time going over the methods of studies. Unfortunately, the abstract was so infuriating, I couldn't read further.  They basically think that the abnormal patterns of infant feeding that have been foisted upon women in industrialized countries which include heavy duty sleep training, overstuffing to reduce the number of feedings to a palatable number for parents, and premature introduction of solids should be used at the norm.  Basically, they are arguing for a return to the standards that were used during an era when too many babies were overfed and trained into not recognizing their own hunger cues.  I think that these completely abnormal feeding patterns as much as the content of the formula which we already know is inadequate, increases the risk of obesity. So, we are now ALSO seeing an increase in the risk of obesity among infants who are being bottle fed their own mother's milk in patterns that are similar to the old recommendations for formula followed by feeding patterns and foods that contribute to obesity as well.  

They have no clue how to do growth monitoring either.  This is evidence in their mistaken impression that you only use the "centiles" to detect obesity rather than tracking the "patterns of growth".

Abysmal science.

Sincerely,

Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2