Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2013 13:07:52 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Kristen, you are so right. And it does take determination, time, and energy to be that catalyst for change in your community. Not everyone has access to Betty Coryllos but we all have access to something, someone, some small bit of collateral we can begin to trade up. Everyone knows someone and if you just keep brainstorming, networking, & banging on doors you can begin to effect change. Thank you for sharing your story.

Allison, why does the pediatrician need to make the referral?  In your WIC position, are you able to refer mothers directly to several best care options for your geographic area?  I have always referred directly to physicians, choosing the best resources I have at the time and for the family -- and offering options. In my community that has meant pediatricians, family practice physicians, dentists, oral surgeons.  At long last I now have bf-friendly resources for laser revision without GA.  I speak directly to care providers and arrange to accompany mothers/infants at appointments when I want to know exactly what mothers will experience with my referral -- whether bodywork or medical consult.  It's been an eye-opener.

Sometimes we don't know our own power. If we see the problem and know the solution, that is power we have a responsibility to use. It can be infuriating to butt up against medical hierarchy but there are HCPs out there who care more about new ways to help patients than protecting ego and the status quo.  

Resources and household relationships can only bear so much burden and, yes, that may also affect our recommendations or a mother's response. Still, I am continually surprised by the resourcefulness of mothers when presented with a richness of information. I withhold nothing and am sometimes delighted to see mountains move.

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2