Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2012 22:56:07 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
I am hoping somebody can point me towards a good resource to investigate the risks and benefits of ingesting encapsulated placentas. This is becoming more prevalent among the women I work with, often at the urging of their doulas. The main benefits that have been promoted are increased milk supply and decreased post partum depression. But this doesn't make sense to me. The same hormones that would prevent PPD would also tamp down supply, wouldn't they? I have now worked with my third mom who is ingesting her placenta and suffers from low milk supply. It is hard to draw too many conclusions from this, since a huge amount of my practice consists of women with low supply...but the thing that stands out here is that these women had no red flags for low supply....unmedicated births, no medical issues, no latch issues etc etc. Where can I read something about this practice that will tell me something more than "animals do it so we should too"...not a good enough answer for me, esp since we have no predators who are going to come along and smell a placenta lying around and surmise that they might get a meal!!!!
Kathy Lilleskov RN IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2