Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2012 16:29:33 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Hi Susan

I too agree with what you're saying here (about the difference between recommendations intended for populations & goals for individuals) & will add this way of explaining to mums to my 'toolbox' - 'thank you!'.

I also strongly agree with Sharon's reply re the critical role of counselling skills when wanting to relay relevant information to  mums. Therein lies the tricky bit - getting the message across without undermining the mother's confidence in her particular status quo. I believe that the ability & willingness to impart information that we may perceive as being potentially too discomforting/upsetting is often the very information that can lead to a more positive overall outcome.

As Sharon implies, it is the learning about and practising of counselling skills that gives us 'what it takes' to consider doing this. Mums will take much more notice of our body language, tone of voice & sincerity than the content of the message. From my experience, content mostly gets assimilated some time later & then 'fed back' to you via the mum's perception re the level of her acceptance or otherwise of 'the message'.

Cheers, Julieanne
IBCLC, Australia

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2