Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2012 14:31:36 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Laura,

there will always be a number of women who choose not to go to LLL meetings for numerous reasons, just as there is no one religion that suits everyone, no one birthing center that everyone goes to, no one educational philosophy that suits everyone.. I, while choosing to remain active as a LLL Leader, applaud diversity in support groups for all breastfeeding women, and in my view, after Leading since 1985, think the more varied support groups we have available for women, the more likely women will find their niche where they get what they need to continue breastfeeding as long as is mutually satisfying. In our town, years ago, only about 10% of women who were breastfeeding ever contacted LLL for any reason and I think I'm being optimistic when stating that number.

If you go to the Breastfeeding USA website, you will see that some of the criteria for becoming a breastfeeding counselor are different (correct me if I'm wrong someone) so more women may qualify to become group leaders, the training is different, and the general energy is different.

I am excited that there is finally a mother-to-mother organization providing breastfeeding support other than LLL... I feel the burden on LLL to be everything for everyone is being lifted. And LLL won't have to take the fall for all the anger toward breastfeeding support groups all the time... we'll be able to share the load, women's needs will be more likely to be met.. all good IMHO! 

I think Ghislaine Reid and other LLLLs from Quebec have had this experience with the establishment of Nourris Source, meeting a need that LLL was not able to fill in their province.. at the very least, the more mother to mother support there is, the more breastfeeding is established as the norm! Look how many formula companies there are out there.. we might do well to strive for at least the same amount of globally active breastfeeding support groups... (only being slightly facetious here.. there is truly strength in numbers).

don't know if I conveyed that well or not but will post anyway.. there is room for all of us - its a big big world with a lot of different folk. Just wish there had been an alternative for all the moms in my community years ago, when they didn't feel totally connected with LLL philosophy, though it was a very inclusive group. Had to laugh when I heard that to go to LLL one had to be a hippy.. I just missed the hippy era and my co-leader was an ultra conservative woman. LOL.. rumors...

Looking forward to yet more diversity!

Celina Dykstra, LLLL with great pride, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2