Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
Message-ID:
Sender:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Laura Spitzfaden <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
The congestion makes it sound as if baby is aspirating during feeds.  This could be due to fast flow or due to oral anatomy issues or both.  I would want to see and hear baby at the breast and with a bottle to determine how baby is coordinating suck, swallow and breathing.

I wonder about the pacifier.  Often babies whose moms have oversupply want to suck more than they need to get a good feed and will happily take a pacifier.  I would want to know if this baby is able to hold onto a pacifier because the pacifier refusal and difficulty at the breast and with a bottle suggests to me that he could possibly have challenges beyond oversupply.

Has the baby been assessed for tongue and or lip-tie?  Does he ever have milk come out of his nose?  Does he squeak or click during feeds?  If you have an appropriate scale, it would also be informative to do a before and after weighing to determine intake.

Laid-back breastfeeding www.biologicalnurturing.com is very helpful for managing flow.  I would start with this as it is the least interventive and can also address many difficulties.  If oral anatomy is normal and baby is gaining very fast, I would also consider full-drainage and block-feeding.

http://www.internationalbreastfeedingjournal.com/content/2/1/11

This does reduce supply, so I would want to be sure that baby can transfer milk well without an oversupply.

Laura Spitzfaden, LLLL, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2