Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2012 17:34:11 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Dear Friends,

Many thanks to so many of you who are supporting the action against Nestlé's program to "target childhood obesity" and have signed the petition (link below) to stop Nestle from "educating" the people of Newark, (New Jersey, USA), about breastfeeding and nutrition.  Today, 6 days since the petition was started, 547 people in 25 countries have signed. The petition is free, quick and easy to use and a wonderful tool to educate others about the impact of Nestlé's aggressive marketing on the health of the world's children.

Maria Parlapiano, (New Jersey, USA) who started the petition, is posting "petition updates" on the site every few days.  She has requested a meeting with the Mayor of Newark, Cory Booker, and is preparing materials for her presentation and for the media.  Maria has also posted the names of the countries where the people signing the petition live.  Please have a look.  If you know of people in countries, not listed, please send them the petition link and encourage them to mobilize their networks to support the petition. If Nestle succeeds in their plan to "educate" Newark they will continue to try to do this in other countries.  We need to STOP NESTLE.

Also have a look at the more than 100 comments that have been written on the site.  You will recognize many names of our leaders / organizations working to "protect, promote and support breasfeeding". The coordinators of  IBFAN (International Baby Food Action Network), WABA (World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action), BMA (Baby Milk Action), GIFA (Geneva Infant Feeding Association), Regional Coordinator IBFAN Asia, IBFAN Advisory Board of Arab World and INFACT (Infant Feeding Action Coalition-Canada) have all signed the petition. The names of the people who have signed and their comments will be presented to the Mayor of Newark and to the CEO of Nestle, North America, Marilyn Knox. (Please forgive me if I have missed other organizations that should be included).

For me, in Canada, this has truly been a wonderful opportunity to help the US, (I have never met Maria) but also to network with people in other countries.  Maria and I have been working flat-out on this issue for a week.  Your support is very much appreciated. Keep the signatures coming.  You will be informed when the action is over.  (Hopefully we will be able to tell you that Nestlé's program has been cancelled).

http://www.change.org/petitions/mayor-cory-booker-newark-new-jersey-usa-stop-the-hypocritical-newarknestle-campaign-to-target-childhood-obesity?share_id=HDVyjOmNmk& 

Many thanks, Renee Hefti - Graham
RN, Lactation Consultant
Vancouver, Canada

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2