Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2011 11:25:12 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Terri,

I work with mothers that go back to work at 6 weeks (active duty military) and yes, I will often suggest that they try to mimic the hours that they will be gone by pumping at that time in the week or so prior to their return to work.  However, I also suggest that they start pumping well ahead of one week prior to returning and that they also start offering the bottle earlier than one week prior as well.  That, in my opinion is a recipe for disaster with babies refusing the bottle altogether and then not having having anything to eat all day while mom is at work (and a baby that is screaming until they fall into an exhausted stupor). 

I have moms begin pumping 3-4 times a day at about the 2 week mark and they can start introducing the bottle at about the 4 week mark.  You'll have to adjust for your clientele going back even earlier.  About a week before they go back I will suggest beginning to pump on a schedule like they will have at work in order to get their breasts/brains 'used' to the  pumping schedule.  Most moms I work with have found this to be very helpful when they go back to work.  In this way they have built up a 'superabundant' supply for that inevitable dip in supply that happens when they go back to work, and they have a nice stash of milk built up as well they they can 'bank' on in those first few days/weeks.

Before I get flamed, I need to point out that these mom do not have a choice about going back to work at 2, 4, or 6 weeks and are trying to make the best of a lousy situation.  Do I wish that the military had mandatory maternity leave that lasted until 6 months (for a start)? You bet I do!  Do I wish that all military mothers could enjoy exclusive breastfeeding?  You bet I do!  And do I wish that none of them had to deploy away to Afghanistan when their babies are 6 months old for 6-12 months?  You betcha...but that is not the reality that these mothers face.  Instead I am lucky to get them to enjoy a 2 week 'babymoon' period before they need to start pumping to build up a stash and their supply for their return to work.  My suggestions above are not based on any hard evidence, only what I have personally experienced when I was active duty and breastfeeding, and what I have seen work with the mothers I help.

Robyn Roche-Paull
B.S., IBCLC, LLLL
Award Winning Author & Founder ~ Breastfeeding in Combat Boots
http://www.breastfeedingincombatboots.com
http://www.facebook.com/breastfeedingincombatboots

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2