Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:32:33 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
I work in a large city hospital as a LC. Of course we primarily serve the birth center but we are called all over the hospital to attend readmitted breastfeeding mothers (ED, ICU, PACU, med-surg, etc.). 

Fay I would attribute the situation you are describing to potentially 2 things, lack of staff education, and poor policy development. 

If there are IBCLC's on staff in the facility I would start there and contact them about how to work together to best serve readmitted lactating mothers. 

Depending on the size of the facility, it can be a challenge to educate all staff, regardless of where they work, to contact lactation services when they are serving a lactating mother (not to mention we are not on staff 24/7). That shouldn't excuse the facility from performing this education, everyone is required to know how to call an emergency code, wash their hands, etc. etc., being familiar with lactation resources can be added to that required new-hire/annual education.Unfortunately rather than explain they (the staff) don't know how to advise the patient on compatibility of meds or anesthesia and breastfeeding, but they will find out (page the consultant, refer to the online organization 'readmitted lactating mother BF policy', check on Lactmed, refer to Hale's guide, or call the Infant Risk center), they instruct pump and discard. I think this is all just part of the overall low value our culture has for breastfeeding and how our culture has 'normalized' formula.

The other issue is that of policy development. My facility has a policy for readmitted lactating mothers that includes notifying the IBCLC for a consult, accessing an electric pump for the mother, and collection and storage of her milk (we incorporated accessing Lactmed into one of our annual clinical staff education days for ALL clinical employees). 

Incorporating the USBC Core Competencies in Breastfeeding Care and Services into the education of all health professionals during their training will help further the knowledge, skills, and attitudes of professionals regardless of where they work in the health setting so they are better equipped to address these types of circumstances. 

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2