Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2011 10:13:57 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (48 lines)
Rachel, I guess I beg to differ with you on this even though I love you dearly! Evenflo is a privately held company and has no stockholders to which it owes any responsibility. There are certainly many reasons to be disappointed with this turn of events. Many of us put a lot of time and effort into working to make all of the changes necessary to meet Code obligations. Evenflo was being used as an example of how a bottle manufacturer could change its marketing towards Code adherence. Mothers were being exposed to less of the deceptive advertising that equates bottle-feeding with breastfeeding. Evenflo did not need to be champions of the Code, simply meet their obligations under it. It helped give the Code a little more leverage and shine as a model of how Code compliant marketing can be accomplished. I certainly understand how business is done. Evenflo was competing on an uneven playing field as so many other bottle manufacturers flaunt the Code at will with outrageous claims. It may not be disappointing to you, but when you see something you worked on for a year and a half unravel in a few minutes it is certainly disappointing.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC

Weston, MA

-----------------------------------
Date:    Fri, 8 Jul 2011 09:34:09 -0400
Subject: Disappointing news about Evenflo and the Code

Evenflo is a business, and has an obligation to its shareholders to earn money.  
If being compliant with the Code means less profit, they are obliged to stop 
being compliant and do what they can to earn money - as long as such compliance 
is voluntary, rather than mandated by law, so that all players have the same 
handicap.  

In places where no one is allowed to violate the Code, the expense of being 
compliant is unavoidable overhead.  As a voluntary measure it exposes the 
company to added expense for which there is no compensation.  There is no reason 
to be disappointed with Evenflo unless they at some time agreed to stop being a 
business and start being champions of the Code instead.  Surely no one expected 
that?

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2