Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Nov 2011 13:19:58 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
I have noticed an increase amount of nurses handing out nipple shields. I have sent out notices in the past asking them not to do this because 
1) Only a trained person should provide them
2) Couplet should  recieve outpatient visit until adequate milk transfer is noted. 

There are only a few nurses on staff who have any 'training' in breastfeeding and it is not these nurses who are giving out the NS and none of the nurses do outpatient visits. 

I very seldom use a NS prior to transitional milk because i have not seen many mothers who have enough supply of colostrum for the infant to be able to transfer enough out through the shield. Just this past 2 weeks i saw three mothers who were using a NS and allowed them to put it on and then allow infant to nurse for 5 minutes and then removed the infant and showed the mother that there wasn't any milk in the shield and the liquid on the tip of the NS was salivia not colostrum. The mothers have even said to me when they see me "The nurse told me that you didn't like using these..." I explain to the parents that "A NS is a tool that can be very beneficial when needed but the majority of infants just need time to learn......"

So my questions for you are : 1) Have any of you dealt with this issue? 2) How were you able to get it corrected 3) Do you have any specific policies, SOP, letters or research that you can share?

Thank You, 
Jessica RN, IBCLC
USA, NC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2