Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2011 14:54:22 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I'm also a non-nurse IBCLC . . . what I don't understand though is why the nurse is the end-all-be-all certification in so many people's eyes -- not picking on nurses here I promise!  It's just something I've never understood.  I see the definite benefit to the facility for the IBCLC to be an RN in a hospital/postpartum/hospital-based lactation center setting and in specialized cases, but I am also quite aware there are other fields with backgrounds that are also quite well meshed with the IBCLC cert.

That said, I'm a Speech-Language Pathologist.  Variations in backgrounds is a positive thing - it allows for more specialization, dealing with more extreme/different/unusual situations -- in my case I would love to do swallowing research by sono in breastfed babies.  As an SLP, I can do traditional swallow studies.  Makes for interesting cross-over.  On the whole though, I feel much more qualified to see mother *and* baby with both certifications.  Especially if a baby is having concerns with swallowing, clefting, etc. etc. etc.

Related to this issue - I had to get my professional liability through two different companies.  HPSO will not cover a non-nurse IBCLC, even with my MS, CCC and state license as a speech path.  Really doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  HPSO carries my speech, CM&F carries my IBCLC insurance.  Kind of irritating!

Beth Jones-Morgan, MS/CCC-SLP, IBCLC
First Word Therapy Services, Colleyville, TX
[log in to unmask]
www.firstwordtherapy.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2