Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
Message-ID:
Sender:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Celina Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Re: size of bm's indicating enough intake - I use the information in the newest edition of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding when describing minimum stooling once milk becomes abundant (I like that phrase..) "3-5 OK sign sized" bm's a day at least.
If baby is having smears with every diaper, they should add up to this amount.  Easy to convey, good visual.

This description made it clear to my daughter that our second grandchild was not latching well and not transferring well though she had plenty of wet diapers. (this would be a whole other topic.. the mother who has no nipple pain, baby is wetting plenty, but the bm's are not there.. this is more insidious of a problem.. at least with sore nipples women KNOW there is something not right.. and with a dearth of experienced grandmothers, aunties and sisters out there.. these babies are at a big risk of getting "just enough" to maintain or grow minimally but not enough to really thrive.)

I digress - this latest edition of WAB has excellent information throughout that is incredibly reader friendly - new mother friendly especially- an excellent reference for any new parents re: how to know your baby is getting enough. Great job, Diana W, Diane W. and Teresa P.! A book I am more than comfortable encouraging mothers to purchase or borrow.. saves me a LOT of work:>) 

Celina D, LLLL, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2