Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2011 16:51:09 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I don't like the word "normal." It's way too loaded. Better choices would be typical or common. And I think that all of us working in the field can see that mild nipple pain in the first couple of weeks is pretty common.

Really what I think new mothers want more than anything is to know that they are doing everything they can to make the breastfeeding experience work out well for themselves and their babies. If we start throwing around the word abnormal, we inflame their insecurities. "Am I doing something wrong?" "Am I somehow inadequate at this breastfeeding thing or worse mothering altogether" "Is there something not normal about my baby?" And ultimately what it boils down to is whether or not we can figure out where the pain is coming from and help them decrease it. I consider myself a reasonably skilled LC, but I can't always "fix the latch," a phrase I am actually beginning to hate! Of course there are times when an adjustment takes them from pain to no pain...those are the lovely visits!! Lactation consulatant as superhero!But sometimes I have to tell them that they are doing everything right and the baby is doing the best job he or she can and that I expect that this pain will resolve pretty soon. It is actually reassuring for them I think, to feel that it is not their fault or their poor technique that has caused this to be a bit painful. I make sure that they know if the pain does not go away in a week or so or if it gets worse at any point they should call me.

I think we do women a disservice to make them believe that nature never would have designed this to be painful. Nature doesn't "design" things...nature is a series of accidents that lead us to where we are. What I find awe inspiring about this series of accidents is that at the same time we are experiencing the pain of birth or the sore nipples of early nursing, we are being flooded with the hormone that allows us to be immersed in love for the creature that is connected to all of that pain. The more oxytocin...the more likely the infant is to survive...what a system!

Kathy Lilleskov RN IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2