Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2011 08:40:30 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
The recent thread about whether an IBCLC can or should see a women without a health care provider, and the current thread about the poor birth practices in the U. S. lead me to consider another scenario, seeing a woman who has chosen to give birth at home and may not have a legal hcp.  

Many women are choosing to homebirth in the our country, due the reasons Judy spoke of recently. In my experience and what I see in women, a homebirth is often the only way to have a normal experience for mom and baby.  In some areas there is not a CNM available or the woman  chooses a "lay" midwife or to go unnassited for reasons that are right for her..  Most of the times these women don't need an IBCLC, just perhaps support and knowledge of her midwife or a group like LLL.  Though having had a normal birth does not mean a baby won't be tongue tied or need more specialized help with breastfeeding from time to time.  

Now Liz had written about giving the mother a copy of the report to give to an hcp next time mom goes, and that sounds reasonable.  I would hope that can apply even in situations such as this and where mother has chosen to not have or can't have an hcp for whatever reasons she has.  For example in our area there is a pediatric practice that will not take babies born at home, whatever the circumstances.  Other groups will not take children who are not going to be or haven't been vaccinated.  Insurance or lack of can greatly restrict finding a compatible hcp for mom and baby.  So I am hoping this doesn't extend to any IBCLCs as well.  Also in our area it sometimes happens that hcp's call child protective services when a woman (who either had an "illegal" mw or was unnassited) seeks any follow up care for herself or her baby, thus creating a fear for women who have chosen the best way they can to birth normally.  Again, I hope calling cps would not
 be something an IBCLC would be expected to do if a woman chooses to birth outside of the "system".   I am, and want to continue being an advocate for women, babies, and their right to birth as they choose. 

Any thoughts or experiences? Or is it a non issue, just give mother the report, with helping her get appropriate referrals if necessary. 

Thanks,

Natalie Hessell
LLLL, CLC, (and taking the exam in less than 3 weeks now)
Quad Cities, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2