Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2011 00:32:45 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
Back from a delightful 5 weeks in Arizona with the "western branches of the family", till most of the Ohio winter weather passed. I'm still trying to get reorganized at home. Regarding my "playful" post on February 26 re: hindmilk and foremilk and my recollection about ductules not having myoepithelial cells. My recollection was just too fuzzy. "Open mouth, insert foot;-)" I obviously just plain old tried to slant/twist a vaguely remembered phrase to fit a pet theory.

It seems that lack of myoepithelial cells on the ductules IS a characteristic, but ONLY of ductules undergoing cancerous changes.

Marion Jones IBCLC, LLLGB Medical Liaison Leader was kind enough to send me several references that spelled it out, such as: 

'Myoepithelial cells are a normal component of the breast ductule, lying beneath the
ductular epithelial cells and resting on the basement membrane (Rosen and Oberman,
1993).  By definition, ductal carcinoma in situ involves ductules that have lost the
myoepithelial cells, and have only epithelial cells present' (Rosen and Oberman, 1993)
http://www.marinalg.org/PDF/CGN-PES_monograph_November_2006.pdf

In all, she kindly sent 5 references/abstracts, all making the definite point that normal ductules do, in fact, have myoepithelial cells. 

(I'm still not able to envision the idea that residual milk, or at least the fat globules, being a lighter specific gravity than the skim portion, would be able to somehow force their way back up through the tiny, healthy ductule to come in contact with the lactocytes in the alveoli. But until someone can prove it one way or another in vivo, I imagine we can all take our own guess.)

I appreciate the time she took to look up the references and for sharing them with me in such a courteous and professsional way. If there are others who like to delve deeply into such references, please contact me so I can put you in touch with her, rather than put her personal e-mail address into this post.

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer, Dayton Ohio

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2