Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 08:54:48 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Dear all:

I have not fully read all the research on vitamin D.  Nevertheless,I do believe that there are conflicts of interest in the vitamin D research just like there are in the research on using pumps.  

And yes, I do believe that some of the research done by Peter Hartmann's group is excellent and at the same time I am profoundly disturbed by the MARKETING done my Medela.  And I feel their quality control is slipping.  I have had more clients have more clients have problems Haberman bottles and Free Style pumps.  And of course, I will disclose that I certainly may only be seeing a biased sample and may be noticing this more because I am frustrated with their marketing.  Just like formula marketing, it is not the appropriate use that is the problem -- it is the deceptive marketing.

I have also heard from one inner source from a large public health organization who feels that Dr. Hollis has started to become more of an ADVOCATE than a researcher under the influence of Dr. Wagner.  Both are reasonably competent researchers, but even stellar researchers make mistakes and even stellar researchers may be biased.  We are all biased in one way or another.

I did read the American Academy of Pediatrics report on vitamin D and I find it less than convincing.  I don't yet believe that we have sufficient evidence to support whether or not we should use higher levels of vitamin D and whether or not it is entirely 100% safe.  You cannot prove causality by extrapolate backwards from a problem at one older age to an intervention at a much much earlier age. And this technique is sprinkled liberally throughout the document.  There may be unanticipated consequences that were not researched from upping the dosages in infants.  So, I remain completely on the fence about the increased dosage for infants until I see more research.

We KNOW vitamin D can be toxic.  We KNOW some individuals think that if a little bit of nutrients is good, more is better.  This thought influenced a small dairy farm to add more vitamin D to their milk with the end result of serious consequences of vitamin D toxicity.  And yes, at very high levels vitamin D can cause birth defects.  So, I can completely understand a practitioner that is concerned. The same concern occurs with vitamin A which also can be toxic.  And the research on supplementing with increased dosages of retinol and beta-carotene was very very carefully conducted with very large sample sizes and detailed investigation into any possible side effects.  I have not seen the same samples sizes used in trials of vitamin D.

What this practitioner might need to quell the fears is copies of the latest research, coupled with assurances that the mother understands that while a BIT MORE is better (per the latest research), a lot more is not.  

Best regards, Susan Burger, MHS, PhD, IBClC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2