Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2010 14:05:53 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
I've had several phone calls from mothers in this situation (baby breastfeeding, daddy wants overnight/weekend visitations).  Mothers feel especially caught when they are not the ones instigating the separation and yet are told THEY are the ones who have to force the baby to accept this unnatural situation (artificial feeding, etc.)  They feel they are being told they must wean the baby so daddy have it easy playing the mommy role.  This situation is definitely not fair to the baby - who can't pick parents, can't choose how they will be fed, and can't pick their home!  When will the court system act on behalf of the baby?   

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ana Lopez
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 8:42 PM
Subject: Re: Getting a 6 month old to take a bottle or sippy cup?

Hi, This is naturally a very stressed out time for mother and baby.  Biologically baby is reluctant to take a bottle or cup from mother because she wants to feed at the breast; especially if mother is the one offering it to her (baby).  I would suggest to have someone other that the mother offer the cup or bottle.  Like all new things this too will take some time for baby to adjust and learn a new way to feed.  The cup or bottle should be introduced in a very playfull way throughout the day, like a fun exploration exercise in a non stressed environment- may work best when mother is not home and baby is not eager to feed at that time.  I really hope the judge understands how important breastfeeding is especially during this uncertain and stressfull time, not only for the optimal nutritional aspects but also the emotional advantages as well for mother and child.  I hope the advice you give her helps.  Words that bring me comfort --- My UCSD LC professer says "We can't work harder than the mother".  

Sincerely yours,  Ana L.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2