Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:37:12 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
Dealing with some of these.  Has mom tried giving baby infant pro-biotics?  Is this a situation of a huge oversupply where baby has rapid gut transit?  Has mom tried healing her own gut with pro-biotics, digestive enzymes etc.?  Around this area, babies like this are put on neo-cate and moms are told to stop breastfeeding. Some of the suggestions that have been given also include using a small nipple shield to slow down milk flow, checking the baby for any tongue/suck issues (I have discovered that mothers with oversupply may mask, or it may be her body compensation for, a baby with poor suck, weak vacuum etc.).  I think that these issues should be dealt with "wholistically" - every part of the situation looked at, not just say it's an allergy.  Dr. Jack Newman is very interesting on these discussions.  If we were in the Saharan desert with no alternatives, would we be as worrid about all this, would this be a problem?  I'm not being critical, I'm just asking?

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of isabella mendoza
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:39 PM
Subject: extreme milk intolerance by baby

I'd like to hear from anybody who has seen a baby as old as 3 months who continues to have bloody stool and green poop.  There is a mother who has called me about this and she has seen loads of doctors, the poor little guy has had colonoscopies, gi meds, and the mother has eliminated almost everything imaginable from her diet: eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts, dairy, and other things too.

Interestingly, her baby is thriving!  his weight is excellent, his developmental milestones right on target, his mouth appears fine  He doesn't eat for very long, only 5-10 minutes, maybe that accounts for the color of the stool, but what about the blood?

She, amazingly, has not given up, but she is close.  Trouble is, I fear that would make things so much worse.

Ideas?

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2