Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2011 17:21:08 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
In the past 3 months, I have been seeing a handful of new moms who have yeast infections.  All of the dyads did not respond to the first, second, or third round of treatment!  Their docs and I were completely mystified about the lack of response to antifungals and the strict yeast protocol that was implemented using  Jack Newman's protocol! All of the mom's were using Medela USED breast pumps for various reasons.  

I decided to offer one of the moms the use of my Hospital Grade Lactina breast pump for free, if I could crack open her used breast pump, and culture the internal pump parts to see if yeast was present, and or anything else.  

When I opened the pump, I was completely mortified when after peeling each layer away, I found Black and Green and various other colors of MOLD!!!!  I took multiple pictures and a video of my findings.  I also swabbed multiple areas for a culture, to confirm my observation.

Ironically, the mother that was using this pump, called me today to report that her baby is finally clear of yeast on his tongue after using my pump and treating the yeast with Gentian Violet (baby) and mom still taking Diflucan and GV.  Baby did not respond to Nystatin or Diflucan after 6 weeks of treatment!

I have called all of my other moms who are currently under treament for yeast, and talked to them about their used Medela breast pumps and the possibility of yeast contamination.  I will crack these pumps open and culture them as well.

I would appreciate any suggestions about how to proceed with my findings, especially to Medela.   To my knowledge, Medela is the only pump that has an open seal system.  How can a mom who uses her personal pump only, be confident  her pump is yeast free,when she uses her pump for additional babies?
I am completely disillusioned with the Medela Co, as I have an avid supporter for 20 plus years!

Thanks!
Jody Segrave-Daly
www.BreastfeedingBabiesHarrisburg.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2