Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2011 15:02:45 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (52 lines)
Just had a thought re: the pumping option.  Medela does make a foot-powered pump!  It is the Lactina kit with a foot pedal that operates the "piston".  The pedal is around $45.00, and the Lactina kits at our hospital are about $40 (we also have the pistons left over after someone just needs the parts for the Symphony, as the hospital kits contain parts for both models.)  I have also seen someone else pump the piston while mom held the double flanges in place.  Definitely there are ways to pump without electricity.  Has anyone out there seen or used the foot pedal?
Very interested in this case! Have been learning about the Amish for years. This family sounds like the Swartzentruber (sp?) group which I was told by another Amish person is considered very strict even by Amish standards.

--- On Sat, 2/12/11, Deann Ragsdale <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Subject: Nipple trauma-Amish family
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 1:43 PM

Thanks for the input so far ladies. I am going out there to see the family shortly. I am always leery when a nipple sheild is put in without someone to evaluate the use! Not to mention I am very concerned that there is a continued tounge tie. So hopefully I can either figure it out, or convince them that they do need to see someone else. 

The mother has actually already tried hand expressing, I suggested that earlier this week for a number of reasons. She has so much exisiting nipple trauma that hand expressing is near impossible and extremely painful. 

I discussed last night with the CPM that she may need to pump, and that is a possibility. However, the other amish families in this community that I have seen do not have running water. I was completely embarrased when I asked to wash my hands before looking at a baby-they had 2 gallon jugs of water for the day-for everything. Just another one of the things making this tricky.

Please correct me if I am wrong-I had always heard that applying drops of breastmilk to a cracked nipple and allowing it to air dry was a way to aid healing and ward off infection b/c of the natural properties of the breastmilk? Obviously not rubbing it on, but just a few drops to the affected area? Money and natural intervention only is of pretty high importance here, so I often find that if I suggest something more 'traditional', like APNO even, I can 'loose' people.

Thanks

Really hoping there is some simple, bizarre explanation for this trauma...

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2