Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:33:37 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Hi Susan. In our hospital, tongue ties are evaluated by the hospitalists, and at times, are clipped in the newborn nursery. I do think that it helps at times, especially when the tie is very tight, and the baby is not latching, although it is not a magic bullet, by any means, and it does not substitute for good latch, and professional support. It still takes babies a long time to learn to bf sometimes.  I do not want to see it become the next "ductal thrush" issue where everyone gets Diflucan, ..etc. It is also not scientific, as you point out, to conclude that a clipping is the thing that makes breastfeeding work better. Cause and effect cannot be concluded just because we feel like it, or because it appears to be the case.

I agree with what you were saying.  The science of breastfeeding and lactation is in its infancy. We need more good studies on a variety of subjects.

And we need to be very careful when concluding causality in our practice, and to base our actions as much on reality as possible and not on our belief systems only, although people's belief systems can cause things to work for some people if they are really focused and devoted to one or another theory.

Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC
Lactnet listmother
[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2