Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:16:28 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
And I want to reiterate that since studying intensely Catherine Watson Genna's book, which I consider my bible, I have found that most of the "yeast" pain mom's complain about is due to what the baby is doing in the first place and the method of pumping or type of pump used in the second place.  I am SO grateful to have learned so much. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:54 PM
Subject: Re: Mold in pumps

Dana writes:

I was  wondering if it is safe for a mother to use her PIS that she used say 2 years  ago for her other child ~~~ Hello all,

Dana asks a question on my mind. The great minds on LN have alerted us that  the theoretical risk of using a pre-owned pump is now an actual risk. 
Keeping  this in mind, I got a call from a mom today who described the signs of yeast/possible yeast. I asked her if her pump was new and she said yes. 
Somehow  I remembered to ask something/say something else that prompted her to say "well  I bought it new, but that was in 2008". So...she has a pump that was never used  by another mother, but it's 3 years old. That is a long time for mold to have a  chance to grow. I can't tell her that her yeast is due to pump mold, but I did  tell her that the company only guarantees their pumps for one year and the  potential for mold growth over time, since it's not a closed system and cannot  be cleaned,  is probably one of the reasons why. It does seem like a mom  has to decide to sacrifice her pump to find out whether there is something  problematic/icky and not welcome growing in there. Ah always more complications.  I do tell moms  about better/differently constructed pumps. Anything else  we can do? This mom's baby has feeding issues which make some pumping a  necessity to avoid formula. Argh.
Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA
[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2