Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:13:12 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
Come ON people...  What is your problem with canned formula?  Don't you know that canned goods are ALLOWED to have a certain percentage of rat hairs, roach feces, etc.?   As long as it's not above a certain number, it's allowed by FDA standards.  These are MACHINES doing the work, not people.  And even if it was people inspecting, inspectors can miss things because they are human.  Just as there are both false positives and false negatives in tests administered for everything under the sun, there is a certain allowance for error.  It think we live in a society built on unacknowledged Judeo-Christian ethics that has thrown out the foundation of those ethics - that there is a truth to be known and that failure to follow the truth results in consequences.  We are asking people and corporations to behave as if there was a moral underpinning to their actions and that they will behave morally, but our society has become very relative.  Whatever is good for you is good and whatever is good for me is good for me, never mind that the two goods might be mutually exclusive.  
So - I had a client come in yesterday with her child in a sling that looked EXACTLY like the recalled sling.  The baby was in the danger position discussed.  This sling is being sold at a Big Box Store and on the web as a Dr. S approved sling.  The pictures on the web show it being worn like the sitting slings.  It has a ring on it BUT there are pockets placed strategically and a configuration that can only suggest to the mother that the proper way to wear the baby is on his back in the purse-like shape.  It has elastic on the sides that enclose the baby completely.  Would not logic say that although this particular brand of sling was not recalled, the configuration is duplicate and it should be withdrawn from the market?   
What would any of you do if you encountered this with one of your clients?

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 10:51 PM
Subject: Contaminated formula

A mother I saw today,whose baby breastfed beautifully for the first time at
 3 weeks of age, reports that she found dead baby roaches in a can of formula.  The company told her they would send a label and pay shipping  charges 
to send the formula back to them.   Who should she contact  with this 
information?
She does not have a computer, so I told her I would ask for her.  All  I can think of at the top of my head is the FDA and possibly the store where it was purchased.  My stomach has not felt well since, especially after hearing about the beatles.  Yuck.

Alice Ernest LLLL, IBCLC, RLC
Simpsonville, SC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2