Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:27:25 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Hello wise ones.

There is a certain blog post circulating that claims that there have been problems with mould being found inside Medela PIS pumps.

I had the opportunity to speak to a Medela rep a few days ago and questioned him about this.  He says this claim is nothing but a bogus rummer and that there have been no reports made to Medela of these findings.  I asked him why Medela does not make a purchase pump that has a closed system like the Ameda and Hygia pumps do, thus eliminating any chance of moisture entering the pump or any contamination reaching the milk.  He told me that their pumps do use a closed system and that their engineers state that it would be imposible for moisture to enter the pump.

I must admit, I am not entirely familiar with Medela's line of products.  I have only what I have heard from mothers and other proffessionals to go on.  I have been told that the PIS is very effective for most moms, especially with it's 2-phase pumping system.  But I have also been told there is no way it could be considered a closed system, that it is likely condensation gets into the pump motor.  From there, it is not a long stretch to believe that mould could then grow in the damp pump compartment.

But I am not sure what to believe.

Have any of you ever actually seen mould inside a PIS personally?

Thanks for any info you can share as to whether or not these claims are valid,

Jennifer Welch, IBCLC, LLLL
Montreal, QC, Candada

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2