Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
"Amy Peterson, BS, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 23 Oct 2010 17:50:54 -0400
text/plain (17 lines)
It would be great to have a blanket statement to use with moms who seem hesitant (or shocked) at the fee.  Help me out here...this is one area I don't have studies or statistics in my head. 
Something like, "You sound surprised that there's a fee.  Once breastfeeding is going well, it will save you lots of money!  But there may be a small investment up front.  Let me share a little to help you in your decision-making.  We know that mothers who receive help breastfeed successfully for a longer amount of time.  We also know that __% of mothers with supply questions or injured nipples wean earlier than they had planned.  The cost of formula for one month is $__, and doctor visits are more frequent and healthcare costs are higher when a baby isn't breastfeeding.  Maybe visit with your partner (or mom) and let me know if you'd like to meet."
Of course, I always refer to LLL, and I will refer moms back to the hospital where they delivered as a walk-in, and sometimes refer to WIC.  But often my calls come from moms who have already tried these options.  Interestingly, moms who have breastfed previously don't seem to blink at the cost if they need a consult.  It tends to be the first time moms who might not see the bigger picture yet.

Amy Peterson, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2