Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:35:12 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Would these mothers expect someone to repair their broken computer for free?  Here, it's a $75 minimum bench fee just for diagnosis, whether you choose to fix or not.  Otherwise, no computer.  There is still phone and snail mail, but no websurfing.  With breastfeeding, it's the same.  But if there's plenty of "free" care and someone else willing to pay for the caregivers living expenses, that's great.  That's how volunteerism works.  But someone, somewhere has to produce for the system of consumers to continue!  Where there is no fee charged, the hospital "shunts" the cost of your service to inpatients by increasing the room or bed fee.  If a patient delivers elsewhere, there's nowhere to shunt that cost.  If a client is seen by WIC, that cost is born through taxes.  Private LC's may have other sources for paying their expenses.  It's a dilemma when you really want to help someone but you need to eat too. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jennifer South
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:07 PM
Subject: Charging for consults

At our facility, we offer a free consult to our patients within the first week; after that we charge $50. For pt's delivering in other facilities, we charge $75.
In the past few days, I've had 3 women call needing a consult. All had cracked, bleeding nipples. I told them that there is a fee involved with a consult.  All 3 women declined a consult at that point. I tried to talk them through as best I could, but as you know, with a poor latch it's pretty imperative to have the couplet in front of you!
I know most hospitals charge for lactation services.....do any of you all run into the same problem? Am I just being soft-hearted? 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2