Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2010 22:10:28 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (58 lines)
As I see a lot of clients post birth 1 week, 2 weeks after birth ,where their babies are already on formula. I believe that according to the code I need to give them the best info, to my ability so that they will have a "reasonable" nutrition . I ,as all IBCLC would love that all babies receive mothers milk and and there after donor human milk. Unfortunately I do not live in a perfect world where this happen .T herefore I think we need all the info we can get on artificial baby milk. I also go through the mixing yes it is on the tin, but not all are reading it, from some be too illiterate (yes I know they were supposed to be on the braeast ) to those who just simply dont care. A lot of our normal day to day minor ailments sprout from the incorrect mixing. I must say I see a lot of moms which I heped with good formula feeding with their first ...i always point things out about why it didnt work for them ..and how normal breastfeeding is ....breastfeeding their second and third babies succesfully. I also belief lack of info on formula for babies is not a good thing to the mothers and babies we work with.

I wish I lived in an ideal world with all mommies being stayed at home moms, and breastfeeding moms, yet I do have some moms going back to work 2 to 4 weeks after birth not for luxuries but being breadwinners
Regards
Hettie Grove
RN.RM.RCN.BCUR ED. ADMIN.ICCE.ADVANCED MIDWIFE.IBCLC.
0118152129/0834925861/0832260709
www.salactationconsultants.co.za
[log in to unmask]
[log in to unmask]
Knowledge is most meaningful when shared with others

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anita Bartels
Sent: 26 Julie 2010 11:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: teaching formula feeding

Yes, I teach formula feeding. Not how to mix it, mom's can read instructions as easy as I can. 

When I go into a formula feeding mom's room we first discuss her reason for not breastfeeding. If there is misinformation or a real desire to nurse we explore those options. If she still wants to formula feed her baby I explain to her how importatnt it is to make bottle feeding as much like breastfeeding as possible. Skin to skin, eye contact, switching sides, gently introducing a bottle nipple into babies mouth, stomach capacity, frequency of feeding, etc. We then discuss what to look for as far as risks to formula feeding. Upset tummies, constipation, ear infections, fussier baby, less mothering feedlings,etc. I always leave the mother with my name and phone number and the comment that her milk is going to come in anyway, let me know if she wants to breastfeed and I will help her.

It continues to amaze me how many women associate working and breastfeeding as an all-or-nothing situation. I have begun to recommend the book "Balancing Breast and Bottle" (no financial interest) to moms who will be returning to work. It is a very well written, mother friendly book that explains how choosing the right bottle nipple will continue the breastfeeding relationship for as long as desired. I think it is within our job responsibility to make sure mom's have all the tools and education they need to make the best choices for their babies, parenting, and life style.

Anita Bartels RN, IBCLC
Jerome ID

P.S. Anybody going to the Lamaze conference and need a roommate? [log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2