Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2010 21:46:43 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
 Experience is priceless. I don't think it comes in one setting either. There are experiences that consultants in private practice are exposed to that are both similar and dissimilar to the experiences of a hospital based consultant, compared to a WIC consultant, compared to someone primarily conducting research, or facilitating training. It's all valuable, and necessary. 

And I want to add regardless of the number of years we have served, number of mothers and infants we have evaluated, number of cases we have assessed, number of articles we have written, number of research studies we have conducted, number of classes we have taught, or charts we have reviewed....

'EVERY' (not shouting, simply emphasizing) one of us had to have a first day.

I encourage identifying a way of offering a comprehensive evaluation of a potential applicants: attitudes, values, skills, abilities, their ability to professionally collaborate, their willingness to self reflect, the manner in which they offer and receive constructive feedback, their professionalism, ambition, diplomacy, regard for diversity, innovation, compassion, sensitivity, curiosity....

These are also priceless characteristics, regardless of experience. I am not the same lactation consultant now as I was the first day. My experience has grown exponentially, my intuition, and knowledge have also grown. The awareness I have gained has affected my values and attitudes even, thankfully I got a first day so I could experience this professional growth. 

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2