Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2010 07:23:17 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Hi Pia,

Dostinex is very often used in my country to supress lactation far beside the first few days pp, so I can share what I have observed.

Usually there are no problems such as you describe - the drug acts pretty fast. Most mothers have painfully hard breasts on the first day - which is mostly due to the absurd advice that is given here to NEVER pump and not touch the breasts at all after taking the medication! I have always feared that it will come to the problems you describe after such a recommendation... and so I always give my moms info about pumping only to relieve the discomfort, cabbage leaves and cold compresses. With this regimen - some pumping and comfort measures - there is some discomfort on the second day too, but not like the first day and usually on the third day the breasts are not producing much milk and mom doesn't need to pump.

But that's the situation without regular pumping and without infection - I don't think your mom should stop pumping now in her situation. After the infection clears, she should be able to stop pumping gradually and rely on how her breasts feel to gauge when and if at all she needs to pump for comfort.

Very rarely there are moms who will need to pump more than 2-3 days to relieve discomfort after taking the full course of the medication (here it is half a tablet morning and evening for 2 consecutive days). Mostly these are moms who are nursing for close to a year and have a very robust lactation. In these cases they needed about a week, with gradually stopping pumping and taking sage tea to continue supressing the milk production after the medication was stopped.

Hope this helps,

Christina Yaneva
BF Peer Counsellor
Bulgaria

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2