Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:57:52 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
In the US, the majority of the time, having a baby is a medical event.  Therefore, a vast majority of those who have initial contact with moms and babies will be from the medical field.  So, it appears that the IBCLE had decided that in order for the IBCLC credential to be taken more seriously, the background of an IBCLC must be rooted in medical education.  I believe that pregnancy and delivery and therefore breastfeeding has become overly reliant on the medical field, and has become less of the natural process it is designed to be.  There are many situations where without the help of medical support, moms and babies would not survive - so the necessity is definitely real.  But there are so many situations where moms rely too heavily on the hospitals for their care in a very natural event.  I was one of them - it is just what pregnant moms do in the US.  I had successful breastfeeding experiences with my first two deliveries, (although with my third delivery of twin girls I faced breastfeeding obstacles when they were in the NICU) so there are many times moms deliver in the hospital, and go on to do well with breastfeeding.  

It appears that in order for the dynamics of the IBCLC credentials to change, the focus of how babies are brought into this world will also need to make a change.  IBCLE is following the direction that moms and babies are going in order to gain respect as a credential.  If the majority of babies were born at home, with the support of family, midwives and doulas, I don't believe we would be seeing this shift in requirements to sit for the exam.  

Are there cases where and IBCLC needs to be familiar with medical conditions and have a knowledge of how they relate to breastfeeding?  Absolutely.  But I don't believe that has to be gained through the guidelines that IBCLE has created in order to be certified.  But I understand that they have to be standardized in order to for IBCLE to be fair in determining who can sit for the exam.

The IBCLE has addressed these concerns about the shift to the medical education now being required under their FAQ's page.  Here is the web address:

http://americas.iblce.org/faqs-about-future-requirements#FAQ22 

Points 3, 9, 17, 17 and 22 address it very specifically.  Am I happy with the changes?  No - I have a degree in Accounting, and have some of the basic college courses they will be requiring, but would still need to take quite a few to meet the new requirements.  Am I going to go back to school to earn them?  Probably not.  I found my love of breastfeeding and the lactation field after my children were born and I had the blessing of breastfeeding them.  So this is my second calling - I still like accounting, but after 4 years helping moms in our WIC office, this is where I feel like I am supposed to be.   WIC does a tremendous job with continued education in breastfeeding (I'll be going to San Diego this fall for a NWA breastfeeding conference, and will attend an advanced lactation conference next month), and I have taken a course to become a CLS, but unless I sit for the exam in 2011, I probably will never be an IBCLC.  There is a push in WIC to become certified, because it is the gold standard for lactation.

IBCLE has acknowledged in the FAQ's section that they the changes may result in a decreased number of exam candidates, but decided to make the changes anyway.  The shift will be toward those who are entering their education in the medical field, and the loss will be for those who have found the love of lactation through other means.  

Maybe moms and babies will make a shift in how they choose to deliver babies, and then the IBCLC certification will hold the respect it deserves on its own in all fields.

Respectfully,
Jessica Elston, CLS
BFPC, WIC
Indiana 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2