Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2010 06:06:45 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Laurie Wheeler's response to this is about what I would say too.  We have no evidence that IV fluids to mothers have any relationship to infant birthweight, as far as I know.  We also have no evidence that edema in a mother is related to infant birthweight from fluid overload or anything else.  

Below is what you posted, Brenda - if you are asking for advice in a specific case, I feel like I am missing some information, specifically, the birthweight of the baby, the current age of the baby and its current weight, and what is happening with feeding.  Without knowing any of the particulars of the case, in answer to your questions in the final paragraph, I would not expect anything different from any pre-emptive CS at 38 weeks.  I'd expect the postpartum care to be the most influential in determining the course from birth on and I wouldn't worry in advance about any hypothetical complications, but I would be very alert to all the things we know are difficult when mother is a surgical patient with medical complications and timing of delivery was not decided by the baby.

"Mom with thrombocytopenia, given steriods in her 37th week.  Gained 15 pounds in a week and had severe fluid retention.  Delivered via c-section at 38 weeks.

I am aware that babies of mothers who took dexamethasone for thrombocytopenia tend to have significantly greater birthweight.  Is this an articially inflated birthweight, like an exaggerated version of what we see when mom has received a lot of fluids during delivery?  

I'm thinking in terms of infant weight loss / gain -- would we expect to see greater initial loss?  slower weight gain in the first two weeks?  Something else?"

Cheers
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2