Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2010 06:19:58 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Dear Baltimore Health Officials, B'More for Healthy Babies --
     I was recently sent a photo of one of your bus shelter ads for the SLEEP SAFE campaign.  I am almost at a loss for words.  This approach is completely inaccurate and misguided.  Solitary sleep has been shown in multiple studies to be a contributing factor in the deaths of infants due to sleep apnea.  When there is no adult sleeping nearby to rouse the baby from an episode of apnea, the baby is much more likely to die.  The highly regarded decades-long research of Dr. James McKenna (head of the Anthropology Department and the Mother-Infant Sleep Lab at Notre Dame University) clearly establishes that infants should NEVER sleep alone.  I don't understand what research the Baltimore Department of Health is basing their recommendations on.
       Many babies die in the US every year from suffocation due to faulty cribs -- either defects in manufacturing or defects in the way the crib is put together, especially handed-down cribs with worn-out drop sides and no instructions.   It is highly irresponsible to tell parents that cribs are safe sleep environments for babies.
       I wonder if you have any data comparing the number of children who truly died while co-sleeping BECAUSE of the co-sleeping, and for those, how many involved non-parent adults, smoking adults, alcohol- or drug-impaired adults, morbidly obese adults, or co-sleeping on waterbeds, couches and chairs.  And of course, some of these babies who died were deliberately smothered by the parent (or step-parent or "mother's boyfriend") and then it was blamed on the co-sleeping.  I would bet good money that the number of children in Baltimore who have died while breastfeeding and sleeping with their mother in a proper adult bed is ZERO.
        Compare that to data on how many children in Baltimore die, end up cognitively impaired, or have abnormal immune systems due to the use of infant formula.  It is estimated that approximately 900 babies in the US die each year from the use of formula, and every formula-fed baby ends up with a lower IQ than they would have had if breastfed for the recommended length of time, and every formula-fed baby ends up with an impaired immune system and higher risks of many diseases and conditions throughout life.  
         I am attaching the last part of a PowerPoint presentation that I use in anthropology classes at the University of Delaware.  I have also given this presentation at international child health conferences.  I highly recommend that the Baltimore Health Department and Mayor's Office bring themselves up-to-date on the research showing that a number of factors reduce the risk of deaths from SIDS, primarily:
Breastfeeding
Co-sleeping with mom in a safe sleep environment
Having the baby sleep on their back

I would be more than happy to come and do a presentation and lead a discussion for Department of Health officials.

Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology
University of Delaware

PS I have the powerpoint if you'd like it. Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC listmother Lactnet. [log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2