Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2010 13:33:07 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Parents trust who they know best....not nec. who knows best.   Think about it, these parents have a closer relationship with their doctor than you....they have been seeing him over the last nine months, the peds see the babies quite often and have established a relationship, it's not shocking that the parents will trust what they say over some LC they barely know.

So in practice, I try to get to know as many parents as I can prenatally and I want them to know me.  I try to emphasize the importance of "setting up your team" prior to delivery and budgeting for it.  (as many clients can be shocked that we charge for services?) Also very important to educate the significant other (husband/partner) prior to delivery so everyone is on the same page, b/c we all know they can be the "deal breaker" when it comes to nursing. Prenatal breastfeeding classes should always include the partner.   I over-emphasize the importance of the partner's role in assisting with breastfeeding, being the gate-keeper and calling for help if he/she feels they need it.  Many times, it is the husband who calls to ask a question or set up the consult.  The partners, as well as the moms, need to value what we do or else they are not going to use it or pay for it.  Even though, by the end of the day, most of us in private practice give more than we take, it is hard for parents to appreciate our service if they have never experienced it.   

So for those in private practice, establishing relationships with mothers prenatally is a necessity and so important to our mission.  Whether it is done through previous clients who refer their family and friends or physicians who refer to you.  I always say, "Take great care of your client's and they will take great care of you!"  The more trustful relationships we develop with parents early on, the more effective we will be.

Maria Parlapiano RN IBCLC
Postpartum Place
Chatham, NJ

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2