Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2010 00:28:11 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I just have to chime in here.  I am a lay LC in private practice and started with LLL 20 years ago.  I am the one who sees the problems many RN/IBCLC's miss!  Please don't assume that RN's know what's going on more than non RN's.  In my experience, it has been quite the opposite.  I am often told by a mom, "you're the first LC who has noticed______", or "you're the first LC who has listened to me" or "you're the first LC who noticed assymetry in my baby's jaw,"  or "nobody mentioned anything about a tongue tie before."  I could go on and on and on.  The medicalization point the some of us are afraid of has merit.  If you're taught to believe that breastfeeding is normal and babies NEED to breastfeed to survive, you will go to greater lengths and really search to find the answer to "why isn't this working?"   I am beginning to believe this is why I'm successful at finding the answers.  Many of my clients leave the hospital believing their breasts or nipples are to "blame" or their baby is "lazy" or some other nonsense, just because an LC didn't have the skills to help them.

Let's find out who wants to be an LC then help them become one.  Let's stop asking nurses who are already working, "do you wanna be an LC?"  that will make a difference because we will get more LC's who really want to do this work!  Not sure what the "right" training model is, but LLL did a damn good job for me!

Please don't think I'm bashing RN/IBCLC's in general.  I'm not!  Just want to make the point that being an RN doesn't make you a better IBCLC.  Just like being a chef wouldn't make you a better dog trainer.  The 2 aren't related, IMHO!

Renee Beebe, M.Ed., IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2