Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 23:46:09 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I am just disgusted with the general protocol of hospital NICUs. Most premie or NICU infants are receiving Neosure formula by nurses ADDING it to the breast milk. Not only does this damage the breast milk itself, but their reasoning for adding it is completely ridiculous. My sister has twins in the NICU right now and recently found out they were doing this to her milk. First of all, I have a problem with them not asking permission but that is beside the point. Once the neosure was added, the twin ready to come home started having Bradycardia moments and the other got put back on a feeding tube because she was too lethargic. When asked why they did this, the NNP stated, "It's standard protocol to increase caloric intake" WHAT?!?!?!?!? I performed a creamatocrit on my sister's milk to find that it was 27 CALORIE milk!!
I took several AAP articles as well as her milk stats and fought the arrogant Neonate to the death and WON!!! As of 6am this morning, neither of my neices are receiving dairy bi-product crap formula anymore. I am hopeful their problems will subside and they will come home soon.
PLEASE!! Be aware that this is STANDARD PROTOCOL in MANY NICU's including my own hospital! Don't be afraid to gently give the facts and stop these babies from being delayed by ignorant physicians.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2