Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:15:18 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
We did a somewhat casual "sling" test when my son was in the NICU.  I brought in a stretchy wrap to try out (honestly, MUCH easier to learn how to wrap with fabric that is stretchy -- regular cloth is more difficult to tie securely and it is not as easy to pop the baby in and out without having to re-tie).  We got him comfy and upright on my chest, which is where he liked to hang out anyway, and he promptly desatted.   Wasn't really a cause-effect thing since he was doing it a lot anyway, so we weren't too concerned.  (And I am an "airway person" by training :) and could see that it was not secondary to an obstructive apnea).  Continued to practice wrapping him, always upright against my chest, and was really angered that at his discharge, they required us to put him in his carseat/stroller -- some kind of "hospital regulation" -- rather than allowing me to just pop him in the wrap and walk the two blocks home.  

He came home at 37 wks (born at 34 wks) on a cardiorespiratory monitor and continued to have a prolonged and profound issue with periods of apnea and bradycardia.  These DID seem to occur more frequently when he was in the wrap, but he spent almost all of his hours on me there anyway so that made sense.  He required too much help breastfeeding for us to ever manage it with him in a wrap or carrier of any sort, but I got very good at being able to pump one side while he was asleep in the wrap, and could easily do whatever else I needed to with him in the wrap and his monitor threaded out and in a backpack I also wore.  It seems like the upright position is much more natural and preferred by babies, neither of mine would have ever tolerated a "bag-type" sling.

Once he got older and heavier I started using one of these "newfangled, complicated carriers with straps" and buckles :) -- Ergo carrier, for older babies/toddlers -- and it is truly AMAZING how comfortable it is.  I've been trekking him around the neighborhood to/from preschool in the last couple weeks and the only part of me that feels the strain is my out-of-shape legs that aren't used to carrying around the extra weight.  I haven't been able to use a wrap or other type of carrier in over a year because they end up hurting my back and shoulders.  

And to bring this back to breastfeeding, yes it IS possible to nurse using one of these types of carriers.  Right now though my son accepts that my breast is "stuck" and he can't reach it very well when he's being worn (way too many vertical inches between my nipple and his mouth). :)

It was previously mentioned here but a fantastic resource on babywearing that you may want to share with moms is:  www.thebabywearer.com

-Sarah Reece-Stremtan M.D. 
(sorry for the length! -- am currently a stay-at-home-mom with too much time on my hands before I continue my training in pediatric anesthesiology)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2