Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:33:52 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
For what it's worth, this is what I teach in my class.

First, when do babies move the most in-utero?  At night, correct?  So, we are growing babies that already know that they need to be more alert and have lighter sleep at night.  Babies were made to eat during the night, and considering we see higher prolactin levels at night, that all seems to work well.  If a baby is up and eating more frequently and following that natural rhythm, they tend to not succomb to the deep sleep that might be more dangerous for some babies.  (Predicting who is at risk would be great -- but since we can't...)  

If a baby goes to sleep with a pacifier, as they hit deep sleep and the pacifier comes out, they begin to awaken, which may mimmick the breastfeeding rhythm.  Basically what we want is a baby that sleeps lightly at night and more deeply during the day when we are awake to check on them.  It seems like a basic survival instinct to me.  

At 6 months, most babies are sleeping longer which indicates to me that their brains must know they can survive the deeper sleep.  It's always worried me that some mothers try to get their babies to sleep through the night so quickly!  It literally makes me anxious!  

I think it's funny that mothers I know well were all so sleep deprived in college and could be up all night working on papers and still go to class the next day, but for some reason can't possibly be up to protect the baby at night or nap during the day (even in the first month!).  

Kristi

Kristi R. Conroy, BA, IBCLC, RLC
www.passivedescent.com
Home Lactation Support
BLS CPR Instructor

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2