Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 2009 19:44:43 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Hello again 

I wrote in a few days ago with a situation that has only gotten worse........I had very few responses partly, I am guessing, due to the lengthy post.  

The client was seen on this Wed past by a surgeon from our local Breast Health Ctr and a 3rd (or 4th) aspiration was done, mom continued abx.  That night had very high fever, very lose bowels, miserable with pain... now has a cold and sore throat (likely due to being in hospital so much lately with all the H1N1 and other bugs going on or strep is in throat too??).  Saw surgeon again today (same one I think) and the decision was made to do surgery.  She reports by phone that she has been told that she must wean from both breasts, this woman has gone to great lengths to preserve her BF relationship and has a huge supply on the unaffected breast due to exclusively feeding her infant on that side.  She states that they have asked her to stop pumping!  Aside from being horrified.....can anyone tell me how I can without, over stepping my scope of practice,  get the message to this surgeon that she CAN continue to BF??  I am not an employee of the hospital (I'm not "even" a nurse) but I do have 5 text books on my desk right now open and all state that BF can continue....  What is my next step??  Not much LC coverage in the hospital over the weekends so not sure that she will get to see someone in the hospital.

Any suggestions much appreciated......

thanks again
beth
(ibclc and lllc leader)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2