Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:43:38 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
mentioning Iranian mothers reminds me of something a mother [English] married to an Iranian man told  me once
she said that  traditionally  mothers in the part of  Iran her husband is from  breastfeed boys for 2 years but   girls for an extra couple of months.  The boys will  get an inheritance from their family in due course but girls will not,  this is the only  thing that the girls will get extra
 I   have tried to find something online but not had any success but did find something  similar but contradictory in 
Breastfeeding, child health & child spacing - Valerie J. Hull, Mayling Simpson in google books [ p126] so perhaps it is one of those things that differs from place to place
It's not an Muslim thing generally,  I did  mention  it to a  Pakistani Muslim mother who actually got very cross and  said how wrong it was to do that,   that   it should be no more than 2 years.  [of course not  every  Muslim mother interprets it as that but many do].  This reinforced how important it was not to assume things,  but to ask if it as something that as important.  She also  told me that as her friend had fed her first baby a couple of times  so he would never be able to marry her daughter,  I think most Muslims  are not as strict as this and it has to be  more than just a  couple of times,  but she was  very devout,  after a period of  not really bothering about her religion,  and perhaps she felt that by being stricter she was showing greater devotion. Or perhaps  her form of Islam required that,  I know some Muslims are fine about  expressed milk,  as this does not   create a milk kinship.
 My friend's husband  had been the only one of his siblings who'd been wetnursed as his mother had been ill,  and she said when they had visited her that they had a very special relationship,  although he did blame his shortness of stature [compared to his siblings] on the fact that he'd   not been fed by his mother  
found another interesting book  in  google books which refers to  milk kinship in Iran and other places -  v interesting  reading
The Anthropology of breast-feeding  -  Vanessa Maher

Nikki
I have some lovely materials from Kaiser Permanente
> (including a video with 5 different scenarios about pregnancy and labor:
> lesbian, Hmong, Iranian, Mexican and Somali). As part of the activities,
> participants will do role plays about breastfeeding mothers. All the
> different stories have given me fuel to create role plays that will be
> culturally accurate. My goal is to teach the WIC staff how to dig deeper
> into a woman's story.
>

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2