Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:31:13 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Don't know about Turkey but fenugreek seeds are well known in places where people speak Arabic or Hebrew, as the name for fenugreek in both languages means 'makes milk'.  Have met some smiles of delighted surprise when I talk about it, as the women seem to be familiar with it for this use and know how to make tea from the seeds.

OTOH in Norway there are a bunch of different kinds of 'breastfeeding tea' around, including one containing a lot of peppermint.  Most of the teas seem to contain things believed to relieve or prevent gassiness, and as such are harmless but would have no effect on milk production either way.  None of them contain the herbs I have seen mentioned on Lactnet in past discussions of herbal galactogogues.

Oat gruel is the thing here to increase supply - that and getting a full night of uninterrupted sleep (don't get me started) since we all know that lack of sleep causes the breast parenchyma to shrivel up and stop making milk, while going for 8 hours at a stretch without having any milk removed will help save up til the next feed, right?

Rachel Myr
feeling grumpy again, it turns out, in Kristiansand, Norway

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2