Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:39:45 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
I recently posted asking if anyone knew of any effects of lactation on maternal serum testing.  

"I was asked a question regarding the maternal serum screening and effects of lactation.  I know the test just measures risk and isn’t diagnostic, but a patient mentioned she was told that if she was lactating and pregnant (which she is), it is more likely to show a false positive.  Googling doesn’t give any information on this, nor do the archives although my search probably isn’t great.  Is there someone out there who knows anything about this test and any effects if any of lactation on it and/or where I could find more information?"

I only received one response and clearly I didn't give enough information.  The Maternal serum testing I am writing about is the test that some women choose to have when they are about 16-18 weeks pregnant to screen for chances of having a baby affected by Spina Bifida or Down's Syndrome.  It is a test that checks levels of Alpha-fetoprotein, Beta-hcG, unconjugated estradiol, and inhibin A.  These levels if they are high or low are then factored in with age, race, etc of mother and a risk number is given to help decide if there is a need for further evaluation.  Although the chances for having an unaffected baby is still really high, if this screening test shows an increased risk for a mother it is usually very upsetting and they usually end up spending lots of money for further testing.

Therefore, when someone mentioned that hormones of lactation in a woman who is pregnant and breastfeeding might affect the tests, I was intrigued, especially since the last person calling me in this situation is my daughter.  I am just not smart enough to figure out how all the hormones of pregnancy would be affected by lactation and possibly affect the levels of the above hormones in the test and wondered if anyone had any light to shed.

Thanks,
Kathleen Sacks, RN IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2