Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 2009 16:57:36 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (61 lines)
What we are seeing in our hospital-based outpatient dept is it's easy to get MD referrals.  Can't guarantee insurance coverage - I've talked about that ad nauseum. But we are billing insurance and if it doesn't cover, moms are still getting the negotiated discount rates.  I see 4-6 patients a day, 60-90 minutes each. Excellent success with moms. We are increasing our ability to handle these cases.  If a baby needs a bili, we can get it immediately. I have a creamatocrit device. I have scales and all kinds of pumps and slings if needed. I can call my MD supervisor for any type of help, frenotomy if needed, consultation on something I'm questioning. I have an OT and PT I can call on for advice. I have supportive bosses and an excellent staff of long-term lc's.  I think where I am at is lactation heaven for mothers that really need help. I have a dedicated NICU LC now.  I enjoy my job.  Today I am happy because my long-term babies are feeding finally and moms have good milk supplies and the restricted tongues are moving and I'm going home soon! But it's taken me 22 years to feel confident with most babies.  I am personally happy because my d-i-l has resisted her pediatrician's advice to "get that baby off the boob" now that he has been diagnosed with ASD and is facing an MRI and other tests for his lung (he was born with CCAM).  Breastfeeding 3 others gave his mom the confidence to tell discouraging people to leave them alone, to let them breastfeed throughout his hospitalizations for breathing issues.  We are needed and we need to have the knowledge to support and befriend and to solve all kinds of problems for moms and babies.   

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 2:59 PM
Subject: CBC

Liz says,

<<Barbara writes an excellent post about how the proposed CBC  could standardize qualifications for breastfeeding helpers  >>

Unfortunately it would only  standardize qualifications like the IBLCE exam qualifications are  standardized.  And, in point of fact, they haven't even decided what the  qualifications will be.  20 hours of breastfeeding education?  A 50  question exam?  No exam?  100 hours of counseling bf moms?  

One of the  (many) frustrations I have with IBLCE and the qualifications for sitting  the exam is the 45 didactic hours can be ANY 45 CERPs.  There is no  requirement to even take a course.  For those that have been bemoaning the  fact that many people take a "week long course" and then are certified as the LL  (Lactation Lady) -- well, HEY -- at least they took a course!!  
Presumably  in that week long course they covered everything that is on the IBLCE  grid.  That is only recommended by IBLCE, NOT required.  So theoretically someone could get their 45 hours in a bunch of ISUs or a couple of conferences -- heck, 2 ILCA conferences would cover the requirement -- and never  get any sort of an underpinning of the breastfeeding basics.

I think there is a lot of work  to do in terms of standardizing IBLCE requirements before they start working on  a "lesser credential."

But I -- and many many others  -- have been saying this for at least 5 years when the idea was first broached  -- and it continues to fall on deaf ears, regardless of the dissent for this  among the ranks.

Why are we not encouraging WIC  peer counselors (who have a good basic education before they are allowed to be  peer counselors) who are interested to go on and take the IBLCE  exam?

Do you know that Indiana WIC  has 58 IBCLCs?  And will have more after July?  Why aren't other  states doing the same thing that Indiana is doing?  
Their goal is to have  at least one IBCLC in every agency.

I think IBLCE is shooting itself in  the foot with this one.....

I'd much rather see a higher  credential.  Something that those of us that have been IBCLCs for 15 or 20  years could aspire to.  You know,
IBCLC(squared) or something like  that.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCA
Lactation Education  Consultants
_www.lactationeducation.com_ (http://www.lactationeducation.com/)  
**************Looking for love this summer? Find it now on AOL Personals. 
(http://personals.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntuslove00000003)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2