Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 04:03:33 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Stephanie, thank you for posting here.
I want to encourage anyone who hasn't already done so, to take a look at Stephanie's website, www.exclusivelypumping.com   It was a true joy to see NO commercial information and especially no pump company adverts, no advertising at all for any accoutrements, just mother-to-mother info from someone who has been there and done that and writes well about it.
Stephanie writes that she has qualms about whether her site is encouraging women to express and feed their milk who would otherwise just breastfeed, but she feels she must continue to maintain it because there is so little out there for mothers who need information.  After seeing the site I don't think she should worry that she is idealizing exclusive pumping nor neglecting to place it in a breastfeeding context.
And, I will add:  Women expressing milk are often forced to resort to information from pump companies unless they stumble across one of the sites run by mothers trying to put their own hard-won experience to good use to help others.  IMO it is no more appropriate for pump manufacturers to provide advice to women than it is for a manufacturer of breastmilk substitutes to advise parents about nutrition.  The same kind of conflict of interest is inherent in the relationship.  Pump companies must provide info on how to use their equipment safely, but women should be able to get guidance for their own situation from someone who has no financial relationship to the manufacturer.
When I become dictator of the world, I will see to it that there is public funding for such websites, but until that time, I'm grateful that there are people like Stephanie.  Check out her website.  I'm bookmarking it to keep it handy for referrals.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway
who skipped going to the gym today so I can hear who gets the Nobel Peace Prize, an hour from now :-)  (did I hear 'get a life!' ?)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2